Covid-19 long-haulers is a term used to refer to people that have contracted the virus, and it resolved with or without treatment and/or hospitalization, however, the patient is left with lingering and seemingly unexplained symptoms. A range of multiorgan complications following COVID-19 infection – including respiratory, cardiovascular, metabolic and renal impairments – have been observed and are characterized by the graphic below.
Covid-19 Long Haulers Typical Symptoms
- Shortness of breath
- Tightness in the chest
- Ongoing fatigue
- Body aches
- Joint pain
- Loss of the sense of taste and smell
- Difficulty sleeping
- Brain fog
- Chills and/or sweats
Covid-19 long haulers syndrome root causes
As a functional doctor, we look for root causes. Our research shows that any or all of the following may be the reason for long hauler’s syndrome.
- Viral latency: Once contracted, the virus can remain dormant in your body – eluding detection by your immune system and triggering low-level inflammation.
- Persistent immune dysregulation: Because your immune system perceives a continuing threat, it stimulates the ongoing production of proinflammatory cytokines and mediators to block that action – furthering the immune dysregulation.
- Mitochondrial dysfunction: As the virus hides out in your cells, it modifies the functions of your cells to better suit its own viral replication. This allows the virus to partially control cellular functions so that when combined with the regular work of the cells, the mitochondrial become dysfunctional.
- Compromised autophagy. Autophagy is an intracellular biological process that removes the body’s toxins and recycles damaged cell components. When autophagy is compromised, cells become sluggish and bogged down and this results in a reduction of cellular function that ultimately leads to fatigue and compromised bodily functions across all systems.
- Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. (MCAS). MCAS is characterized by overactive and malfunctioning mast cells. The result in the case of Long COVID is that the overactive mast cells start to go haywire and secrete massive amounts of chemical mediators stored in the cytoplasm of your cells. What was intended to be a positive, protective response from your mast cells instead triggers both local and systemic negative effects. You may realize a very strong and persistent post-nasal drip, sinusitis, rhinitis (runny nose), many neurological symptoms, GI issues as well as hives, excessive itching and a host of other symptoms across the body.
The combination of the above root causes leads to immunological dysfunction and mitochondrial deficits and ultimately leads to the array of symptoms seen in long-haulers.
Proactive Wellness Treatment for Covid Long Haulers
Long haulers treatment consists of clearing any remaining low-level virus and then cleaning the terrain. The latter will make the difference in the long-term health of the patient. Cleaning the terrain is necessary to correct immune dysregulation, the real culprit in primary COVID-19 and chronic long haulers disease. Our treatment approach is outlined below and addresses all root causes of Covid long haulers syndrome.
- Gut restoration using specialized supplements
- Probiotic as needed
- Identify and eliminate sensitive foods using food sensitivity testing
Immune and Autophagy Rejuvenation
- Special medications to eradicate viral load. Though the patient may test negative for COVID-19, research has shown that even low levels of the virus can continue to cause immune dysfunction
- Special peptide for Immune modulation
- Specialized supplements to enhance autophagy
- Vitamin D enhancement if not already optimal
- Zinc (25 mg daily)
- Vitamin C
- Specialized supplements to accomplish mitochondrial strengthening.
- Liver detox (Tudca, Kidney Liver Detox or NAC)
- Drink plenty of water and reduce alcohol intake
- Anti-inflammatory diet
- Identify and reduce toxic exposure using Great Plains Laboratory Non-metallic toxin test and specific detox if needed
While conventional doctors are frequently stumped at Long COVID, for us at Proactive Wellness, Long COVID looks very much like many of the other chronic inflammatory-based illnesses that we treat and we have used our comprehensive approach to treating inflammatory-based illnesses to treat Long COVID with great success. One of the challenges is that Long COVID impacts patients in different ways from one patient to the next so cookie cutter strategies don’t work. We apply our highly-individualized approach to diagnosing and treating Long COVID to produce great results for our patients. We do not have a “magic” fix, but our approach leverages proven therapeutics to get you back to good health.
The purpose of our approach is to provide support to vital organs and systems and to strengthen your immune system so that it can effectively repel the disease components. Note that nothing stated in this section is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Not a long hauler, but feeling the effects of vaccine toxicity?
Many patients that have received the mRNA form of COVID 19 vaccine have reported side effects from the vaccines and some side effects have gone unreported since patients expect that these side effects will subside. But for many patients the side effects persist and even get worse. You should suspect vaccine toxicity if somewhere between 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks after getting the vaccine, your have feelings and discomfort that you have not experienced before. They may be heart related like your heart is racing or cognitive issues like you feel “brain fog” but you know your body and you know something isn’t right.
Scientists speculate that the side effects are largely due to the spike protein component of the vaccine. The virus spike protein has been linked to adverse effects, such as: blood clots, brain fog, organizing pneumonia, and myocarditis. It is likely responsible for many of the Covid-19 vaccine side effects. Even if you have not had any symptoms, or experienced adverse side effects after a jab, there may still be lingering spike proteins inside your body that is wreaking havoc on your body.
The good news is that Proactive Wellness has a treatment protocol that has been shown to help detoxify your body and get you back to feeling like yourself. Contact us for more details about getting started.
If you want to be proactive, then we also offer a prophylactic protocol to help enhance detoxification ahead of the vaccine then continue with the protocol after the vaccine.
Our High Dose Vitamin C IV with glutathione is used as part of the protocol for the prophylactic case and the after the fact case. Contact us to get started today.
Recently tested positive for COVID and don’t know what to do?
Call us. We have a COVID outpatient treatment protocol to keep you out of the hospital. Once in the hospital, your treatment options are limited. Read here to learn about our approach: Dr. Lawsons latest thinking about COVID-19 vaccines — prevention — and treatment
The single most important thing for any patient to do to lower probability of severe COVID is to ensure optimal vitamin D levels. The optimal vitamin D (D3) is 60-80. Here is the result of a recently published study on this point:
A study published on Thursday in the research journal PLOS One found that about half of people who were vitamin D deficient before getting COVID-19 developed severe illness, compared to less than 10% of people who had sufficient levels of the vitamin in their blood.
A key component in our protocol that keeps patients out of the hospital is Ivermectin. Prior to this large study, the published studies were small and as a result, had been subjected to doubt by some scientists. This is an update from a recently published, peer reviewed, Large study about the effects of Ivermectin, which is part of our protocol for active COVID. Read the details here: Or, look here for yourself at the results from this study involving over 150,0000 patients:
Even if you don’t call us, avoid taking Acetaminophen as the most recent published study shows Acetaminophen is associated with worsening outcomes and longer hospital stays for patients that needed hospitalization. This is published in a highly-respected medical journal. Read on….https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(21)02443-0/fulltext
New 12-28-2021. Click below to read Dr. Lawson’s latest thinking about vaccines, prevention and treatment. This is a must-read to help you navigate COVID-19. Dr. Lawsons latest thinking about COVID-19 vaccines — prevention — and treatment
Not a long hauler but want to read Dr. Lawson’s thinking about the COVID-19 vaccines? Proactive_Wellness-DrLawson-latest_thinking_about_COVID_19_Vaccinations
Looking for recommendations for prevention of COVID and early stage treatment after a positive test? COVID-19_Complete_Guide_to_DrLawsons_thinking
Want to download this page in PDF for easy printing and sharing. Post-Covid_Syndrome_by_DrLawson
You think the vaccines aren’t working as good as the media would have us believe? Check this article. Increases in COVID-19 are unrelated to level of vaccination — retrospective study
Ready to get started?
Use one of the options below.
- If between the hours of 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday through Friday, feel free to call us now on (703) 822-5003 and our Clinical Intake Coordinator will answer any question you have and get you started.
- Fill the contact form below and we will get back to you within 24 hours except weekends.
- If you know this is the program for you, then Click hereto begin the online enrollment process
Helpful Resources for Chronically Ill patients