Covid-19 long-haulers is a term used to refer to people that have contracted the virus, and it resolved with or without treatment and/or hospitalization, however, the patient is left with lingering and seemingly unexplained symptoms. A range of multiorgan complications following COVID-19 infection – including respiratory, cardiovascular, metabolic and renal impairments – have been observed and are characterized by the graphic below.
Covid-19 Long Haulers Typical Symptoms
- Shortness of breath
- Tightness in the chest
- Ongoing fatigue
- Body aches
- Joint pain
- Loss of the sense of taste and smell
- Difficulty sleeping
- Brain fog
- Chills and/or sweats
Covid-19 long haulers syndrome root causes
As a functional doctor, we look for root causes. Our research shows that any or all of the following may be the reason for long hauler’s syndrome.
- Viral latency: Once contracted, the virus can remain dormant in your body – eluding detection by your immune system and triggering low-level inflammation.
- Persistent immune dysregulation: Because your immune system perceives a continuing threat, it stimulates the ongoing production of proinflammatory cytokines and mediators to block that action – furthering the immune dysregulation.
- Mitochondrial dysfunction: As the virus hides out in your cells, it modifies the functions of your cells to better suit its own viral replication. This allows the virus to partially control cellular functions so that when combined with the regular work of the cells, the mitochondrial become dysfunctional.
- Compromised autophagy. Autophagy is an intracellular biological process that removes the body’s toxins and recycles damaged cell components. When autophagy is compromised, cells become sluggish and bogged down and this results in a reduction of cellular function that ultimately leads to fatigue and compromised bodily functions across all systems.
The combination of the above root causes leads to immunological dysfunction and mitochondrial deficits and ultimately leads to the array of symptoms seen in long-haulers.
Proactive Wellness Treatment for Covid Long Haulers
Long haulers treatment consists of clearing any remaining low-level virus and then cleaning the terrain. The latter will make the difference in the long-term health of the patient. Cleaning the terrain is necessary to correct immune dysregulation, the real culprit in primary COVID-19 and chronic long haulers disease. Our treatment approach is outlined below and addresses all root causes of Covid long haulers syndrome.
- Gut restoration using specialized supplements
- Probiotic as needed
- Identify and eliminate sensitive foods using food sensitivity testing
Immune and Autophagy Rejuvenation
- Ivermectin (5-7 days) to eradicate viral load. Though the patient may test negative for COVID-19, research has shown that even low levels of the virus can continue to cause immune dysfunction
- Special peptide for Immune modulation
- Specialized supplements to enhance autophagy
- Vitamin D enhancement if not already optimal
- Zinc (25 mg daily)
- Vitamin C
- Specialized supplements to accomplish mitochondrial strengthening.
- Liver detox (Tudca, Kidney Liver Detox or NAC)
- Drink plenty of water and reduce alcohol intake
- Anti-inflammatory diet
- Identify and reduce toxic exposure using Great Plains Laboratory Non-metallic toxin test and specific detox if needed
Not a long hauler but want to read Dr. Lawson’s thinking about the COVID-19 vaccines? Proactive_Wellness-DrLawson-latest_thinking_about_COVID_19_Vaccinations
Looking for recommendations for prevention of COVID and early stage treatment after a positive test? COVID-19_Complete_Guide_to_DrLawsons_thinking
Want to download this page in PDF for easy printing and sharing. Post-Covid_Syndrome_by_DrLawson
Ready to get started? Use one of the options below.
- Click here to contact us on our quick contact form and someone will get back with you shortly.
- If between the hours of 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday through Friday, feel free to call us now on (703) 822-5003 and our Clinical Intake Coordinator will answer any question you have and get you started.
- If you know this is the program for you, then Click hereto begin the online enrollment process
Helpful Resources for Chronically Ill patients