PEMF is an acronym for Pulsed Electro-Magnetic Field. PEMF therapy consists of a device which emits pulsed electro-magnetic fields. This energy courses through the body, directly to damaged or injured areas and causes accelerated hearing for many conditions. The energy is particularly beneficial to areas experiencing chronic pain and inflammation.
The energy of the PEMF device passes through the cells in your body, amplifying the cellular energy. The increase in energy promotes a natural reaction that regenerates and enhances the efficiency of the cell’s function. This natural process stimulates healing and helps to improve your overall well-being.
Why would I need PEMF Therapy?
Have you ever used a battery-operated device that’s got an old, worn-out battery? When a battery is depleted or running on sub-optimal power, your device simply doesn’t perform all that well right? But when you replace or recharge those batteries, then like magic, your device runs smoothly, effectively, and powerfully once again.
All of the cells in our bodies are like its own tiny “battery”. And just like batteries that we know and understand, your cell’s “battery” can become depleted, causing the cell to underperform. PEMF therapy is a simple yet powerful way to recharge, re-energize, and really supercharge your cellular energy. More specifically, Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (PEMF) Devices pulse a magnetic field consistent with the Earth’s natural frequencies. This helps to restore restricted ion flow and stimulates the body’s regeneration process. Following is a list of conditions that will likely benefit from PEMF therapy. Most have research articles supporting the efficacy when used a mono therapy (alone) or in conjunction with other therapies.
Acute and Chronic Pain: Over the years PEMF Therapy has proven to be effective on both acute and chronic pain. In response to the PEMF, the body generates micro currents which target the cell membrane modifying and restoring normal function to damaged cells.
Poor circulation: When PEMF Therapy is used, a magnetic pulse passes through the cell which enables the membrane to become charged. The cells then separate from each other which helps to promote proper circulation and an increase in cellular oxygen.
Insomnia: EMF therapy devices have proven to be the most effective in stimulating brainwave patterns to shift from disturbing patterns to patterns seen in normal sleep behavior.
Inflammation: PEMF Therapy helps to reduce the inflammation by charging the cells with a gentle electromagnetic pulse. Once charged, the cells then increase their oxygen carrying ability which promotes healing, reduces swelling and pain. The electromagnetic pulse that flows through the body stops the release of inflammatory mediators and increases blood flow.
Hypertension: PEMF increases plasma Nitric Oxide availability and improves BP at rest and during exercise.
What Does PEMF Therapy Do for the Body?
PEMF therapy transmits and infuses healing energy into your cells – allowing your cells to absorb that energy and utilize it to more effectively perform their duties. PEMF therapies have been proven to promote the body’s natural regeneration processes starting at the cellular level. This includes the regeneration of blood vessels, as well as healthier tissue, cells, and nerves. PEMF promotes health through the following mechanisms of action.
- Energy production
- Waste removal
- Repair and healing
- Carrying out specialized cellular functions
Through the mentioned mechanisms of action, PEMF delivers the following specific benefits.
- Accelerated healing
- Better circulation
- Decreased inflammation
- Enhanced cognition and focus
- Improved cellular regeneration
- Increased quality and length of rejuvenating sleep
- Reduction in pain – both acute and chronic
In summary, PEMF works as a catalyst to enhance and promote your cell’s innate abilities thereby creating the impressive benefits that the therapy is known for. And these health benefits are well-documented in multiple credible, well-run medical studies. , these claims are backed up by some robust scientific studies. Here are a few of the key ones:
Is PEMF good for everyone?
While EMFs at higher levels contribute to illness for some patients, low-level EMFs – like those utilized in PEMF – mimic the healing frequencies of natural, EMFs that are found abundantly in nature from things like the earth, the sun, and your own cells. With that being said, even the beneficial, healing frequencies used in PEMF are not ideal for everyone. We do not recommend PEMF therapy if any of the following conditions apply to you:
- You have any implanted electrical devices: Transmitting PEMF waves into your body can potentially interfere with the functionality of certain implanted electrical devices like a cochlear implant, intrathecal pump, or pacemaker.
- You’re pregnant: While it’s unlikely to be harmful, there have not been enough studies conducted on the application of PEMF during pregnancy to confirm whether or not it’s entirely safe – so we completely advise against PEMF therapy during pregnancy.
- You’re undergoing active chemotherapy or cancer treatment: Because PEMF therapy can trigger cellular replication, it can potentially supercharge the function of your healthy cells right alongside cancerous cells. So if you’re actively undergoing chemotherapy or cancer treatment, we do not recommend PEMF therapy.
- You have a bleeding or clotting disorder: PEMF can improve blood flow and circulation – potentially increasing your risk of bleeding if you have a pre-existing bleeding or clotting disorder.
Again, PEMF therapy is generally quite safe, but for the above conditions, it is contraindicated and we will not allow you to receive PEMF therapy at Proactive Wellness Centers if any of these apply to you.
PEMF Therapy Potential Side Effects.
Most people report feeling relaxed and refreshed after a PEMF therapy session. But because PEMF can have a distinct impact on how your cells are functioning, some patients, especially patients that are hypersensitive may report a slight worsening of symptoms before they see improvement. This only applies to a very small percentage of patients.
Some of the side effects you could potentially experience for a short time after PEMF therapy include:
- A temporary spike in pain: PEMF therapy stimulates your tissues and your nerves – meaning it can temporarily make chronic or underlying pain worse as it stimulates healing.
- Skin irritation: The increased circulation induced by PEMF therapy can sometimes temporarily irritate sensitive skin.
- Decreased blood pressure and/or heart rate: If you’re prone to low blood pressure or on medications that lower your blood pressure, the increased circulation triggered by PEMF may cause you to feel temporarily lightheaded or dizzy. Due to this, we will take your blood pressure before and after each PEMF session.
- Fatigue or feeling ill: PEMF therapy can accelerate the release and removal of stored toxins – which can leave you feeling crummy as your body processes and eliminates them.
Most side effects that come with PEMF are quite minor and short-lived.
PEMF treatments are given in 20-30 minute sessions in our office. For most conditions, patients several sessions over several weeks to see a meaningful acceleration in healing. This is because it it is a regenerative process and it takes time for the body to execute the regenerative actions.
Ready to get started?
Use one of the options below.
- Text “PEMF” and your first name to 833.341.0170 and our Clinical Intake Coordinator will get back to you personally and confidentially. You only need to provide your first name. Note, this number is only for texts — no voice calls.
- If between the hours of 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday through Friday, feel free to call us now on (703) 822-5003 Ext 4 and our Clinical Intake Coordinator will answer any question you have and get you started.
- Fill the contact form below and we will get back to you within 2-3 hours except weekends.