Metabolic Rejuvenation Program
The essence of our Metabolic Rejuvenation Program is identifying and eliminating the root cause of your weight loss resistance. When eating a healthy diet and minimal exercise alone is not enough to get to a healthy weight and body composition, we find that patients have weight loss resistance. In the image below, the ? represents weight loss resistance. From our perspective, the body is always trying to achieve balance and that includes achieving a healthy weight.
How do we identify each patient’s reasons for weight loss resistance?
We identify the reasons for weight loss resistance through a combination of conventional and advanced lab testing. In our practice, the top 6 reasons for weight loss resistance are listed below:
- Insulin Resistance. It is well established that there is a strong correlation between insulin resistance and weight gain. When there is excess insulin and blood sugar in our blood stream, it signals our body to put that excess sugar in storage. We can store some sugar in our liver and muscles, however, when these are full our body starts to store the extra sugar as fat. This mechanism causes weight gain.
- Food Sensitivities. Food sensitivities don’t directly cause weight gain, but they trigger a mechanism of action starting with inflammation. Staring with inflammation, the mechanism works to create insulin resistance and in many cases weight gain.
- Leptin resistance. Leptin resistance results in a decrease in the ability of leptin to suppress appetite or increase your body’s energy use. We see this frequently from mold exposure, but there are other reasons for leptin resistance, as well. It is well documented in the medical literature that patients in a moldy environment often will develop leptin resistance and because of that, they can gain 30-50 pounds in a very short period of time with no change in diet or exercise.
- Hormone Imbalance. Both low estrogen and low progesterone that occur as women approach menopause is associated with weight gain. Low progesterone in particular acts to decrease metabolism and increase insulin levels. In men and women, low testosterone is associated with increased fat levels and less muscle.
- Thyroid imbalance. Many patients are slightly hypothyroid but it has never been diagnosed as conventional doctors look only for very elevated TSH. In some patients, however, even slight elevations in TSH combined with hypothyroid symptoms may indicate a need for supplemental thyroid medication. Absent a high-functioning thyroid, many patients will experience weight gain.
- Toxic Burden. The toxic burden comes from toxins in our food, the air and water and the environment. Herbicides, pesticides, plastics byproducts and petroleum byproducts are just a few of the non-metallic toxins that overload our bodies and create toxic burden. All of these toxins need to be processed by the body and eliminated in a safe manner. The trouble is that our body becomes over loaded and toxins build up in the liver and digestive system. This leads to weight gain, hormone imbalances, and loss of energy.
All of the top 6 except food sensitivities and toxic burden can be diagnosed with conventional lab tests that are typically covered by insurance. Diagnosing food sensitivities and toxic burden requires specialized testing that is not typically covered by insurance.
And starting March, 2023, we are pleased to introduce the next frontier in individualized, physician-directed weight management programs using the Gx Sciences NutriGen profile. This profile leverages data about your genetic predispositions in multiple areas to deliver the next level of specificity for patients with challenges maintaining a healthy weight. The Nutrigen considers predispositions in the following areas:
The Nutrigen provides us for the first time with timely, patient-specific information. We have been asked if this is similar to the blood-type diet. This approach is much more refined than relying on data that only has 4 variables. There are millions of genes and this approach considers 363 SNP’s that potentially impact your ability to achieve and maintain a healthy body composition.
Once the reasons for the weight loss resistance have been determined, then we work to put together an individualized treatment plan for you leveraging the Nutrigen profile if you have consented to add this to your testing.
The plan will address each area that is not optimal based on the laboratory testing. For the food sensitivities, patients will need to avoid the highly and moderately sensitive foods for 6-12 months to allow the body to reset. Then they can be added back in moderation.
What about Gluten sensitivity?
With gluten sensitivity, your body has trouble absorbing the gluten that is found in wheat, barley, and rye. As you continue to eat these foods you may develop multiple digestive problems and weight gain tends to be an indirect consequence of this particular sensitivity. We will uncover this sensitivity with the food sensitivity testing. Note that you do not have to have celiac disease in order to be gluten sensitive. In fact, many patients have gluten sensitivity that do not have full blown celiac disease.
Putting it all together
Your individualized plan will address all areas of imbalance and weight loss resistance. Our treatment plans incorporate prescription medications when indicated, medical foods, nutritional supplementation and bioidentical hormone replacement as needed. From the start, we will measure your body in detail using our Inbody 570 advanced body composition monitor.
This monitor provides precise accounting of your fat, muscle and water. This is important since our goal is not to reduce weight in general, but specifically to reduce fat. By comparing subsequent measurements to the baseline, we can ensure that you are losing fat and not muscle as will occur with many of the “diets” in the market today.
What about dieting and exercise?
Eating a healthy diet in the proper proportions and at least mild exercise is needed to support any weight loss program, but as discussed above, they are not enough. Nonetheless, our program does provide appropriate counsel for healthy eating and proper exercise.
- Healthy eating. Patients should strive to eat balanced meals consisting of whole foods, organic as much as possible, without eliminating any food group. Eliminate processed foods to the extent possible and simple carbs, but complex carbs are healthy and will support weight loss. The Mediterranean diet is the closest to a healthy diet in general. Calories should be 200-300 calories below your basil metabolic rate, a measure that you get from our Inbody machine, unless you exercise aggressively. In the latter case, we will work with you to determine the appropriate caloric intake.
- Effective exercise. To lose weight, patients need 30 minutes of mild to moderate anaerobic exercise 3-4 days per week. Note the emphasis is on mild to moderate as heavy, risky exercise is not needed for weight loss. Anaerobic exercises include high-intensity interval training (HIIT), weight lifting, circuit training, Pilates, yoga, and other forms of strength training such as using exercise bands. The latter is highly recommended. The point that is now supported by multiple studies is that anaerobic exercise is much more effective in promoting weight loss than aerobic exercises like running and cycling.
As the last point is somewhat counterintuitive, check one of the studies supporting this view.
High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise and Fat Loss
Select medications that we use to support weight loss. We evaluate each patient, their reasons for weight loss resistance and apply medications as indicated for each particular patient. This is just a sample of some of the more novel medications that we utilize to achieve sustainable weight loss in our patients.
- Semaglutide. This medication is FDA approved for weight loss in patients with insulin resistance. It may be covered by some insurance plans based on indication. Semaglutide, sold under the brand name Ozempic among others, is an antidiabetic medication used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and long-term weight management. Semaglutide acts like human glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) in that it increases insulin secretion, thereby increasing sugar metabolism.
- CJC1295/Ipamorelin. This is a combination of two growth hormone releasing hormones (GHRH) that both act to increase growth hormone levels in the body. This product supports healthy weight loss in two ways. The main benefit of Ipamorelin is that it has been shown to increase fat burning metabolism, whereas CJC1295 is similar to Ipamorelin, but it is a 29-amino acid peptide hormone that offers many anti-aging benefits including improvements in energy and strengthened immune system.
- Tesofensine. Tesofensine is not currently FDA approved but it has been studied extensively. Tesofensine is a novel centrally acting triple monoamine reuptake inhibitor (MRI) . Results from recent clinical trials show that tesofensine effectively produces a substantial weight loss in obese patients. When corrected for placebo and diet effects, long-term tesofensine treatment produces a maximal weight loss of 10.6% in obese patients, which is twice that achieved by other anti-obesity agents. The robust weight loss produced by tesofensine is explained by the stimulation of satiety, suggesting that tesofensine predominantly acts as an appetite suppressant.
- 5-Amino 1MQ. 5-amino-1MQ is a small, selective, membrane permeable molecule that is an inhibitor of nicotinamide N-methyltransferase (NNMT), a cytosolic enzyme that plays a role in cellular metabolism and energy homeostasis. NNMT has been found to be up-regulated in white adipose tissue (fat tissue) compared to other tissues, thus, NNMT is an ideal target for anti-obesity medication. The results of studies validate NNMT as a practical target to treat obesity and related metabolic conditions and support the development of an NNMT inhibitor therapeutics to reverse diet-induced obesity.
Ready to get Proactive Wellness engaged to help you lose weight?
- Call us between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday on (703) 822-5003.
- Fill the contact form below and we will get back to you within 24 hours except weekends.
You are so great! I truly appreciate all you are doing for me. Phyllis and I are so fortunate to have found you.
June4, 2009. “Good morning! I have to tell you that I weigh 157… down from 191!!! OMG…thank you so much! I feel incredible!”
“So far I have lost 30#’s in 6 weeks and have the energy of a 40 year old. Am so thankful to be able to handle unpacking and shelving 6000 books. I am up and down stepladders and extension ladders with books in tow. The awful arthritis pain is there but the energy isn’t depleted from the pain like before and I keep going like this for hours.”
Dare I say it out loud? It sure is looking as though Semorelin has given me my life back. I was so worried about skiing – afraid I’d ski one day and be in bed the rest of the week. But I was just fine. This past Saturday I prepared, served, and cleaned up (with help) dinner for 14. Sunday I was just fine.
My update. I feel pretty good!!! My bleeding is under control and I am now regular for the most part. Sometimes I will have a strange menstral bleed (long and slow), but I will take it compared to my old “normal”. I still love the progesterone and testosterone I am on. They leave me with no side effects.
I was very happy at my recent (Feb 6th) annual doc appt (physical). After the standard blood draw work up, my numbers were:
Vitamin D= 66.9 (down a bit from your work up which was 77, but still good)
Cholesterol=123 (down from 150 in Sept 2011)
Triglycerides=91 (down from 129 in Sept 2011)
So… I am the new spokesperson for HCG! I love that stuff!! smile The second round for me was amazing. I was very disciplined and determined and after about the 3rd day, it become very easy for me. I was able to drop 14lbs in an 18 day cycle!!!! AND….I am keeping that off with very little effort! OMG I couldn’t be happier! I am in the body that I am comfortable in once again! That feels so good. I am continuing to eat clean and exercise, it is a great life change!
Words cannot describe how happy I am with your anti-aging program. I have not felt this good in YEARS. Since getting pregnant in 1995 I have been overweight. Between 1992-1995 I was being treated for infertility and had to take all sorts of hormones that made me bloated and tired.
Now, at the age of 46 I have more energy and I look better than I have in YEARS. I actually THRIVE on exercise and do it religiously because I know it is the key to keeping the weight off and enjoying the foods that I love.
As a successful businesswoman, you often feel that you can’t have everything and I put my weight and health on hold to grow my business. You have given me the gift of being able to run a business AND look good. I am getting so much attention for my weight loss and it has helped my confidence and self esteem greatly.Since I do a lot of speaking engagements, I know that image is more important than what you say or how you say it. By looking better and appearing fit and healthy, I am a more powerful public speaker!
I can’t say enough about this gift you have given me and I hope you know how much I appreciate you.
On top of all of this, you are truly a beautiful person inside and out who provides a level of caring I have never seen from a doctor, weight loss clinic or other health professional.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Lynese – In an old file I found a print out from an online longevity calculator I had used in 2007 (www.eons.com). I thought I was doing well because it said I would likely live to 86! But I just re-took the survey. Basically by cutting out the coffee, carbs and sugar, increasing my exercise and losing weight, I’ve apparently added 13 years to my life!! The calculator now says I could live to be 99!! With a little more exercise and a little less work, I could live to 106!! Thanks for all the added years Lynese!!!
All the best.
P.S. – I saw Diane over the weekend – she’s looking great, and is so happy with her weight loss.
Hi Lynese – Just had to share this with you. I have appeared in an online newsletter (Legal Bisnow) twice – the first time a year ago and the second time today. Look at the difference in my photos!
It’s an absolute miracle! In the older photo even my eyelids look fat! I can’t get over how much I now look like my old self – of 20 years ago! I certainly don’t look like I’m closing in on 59, do I??
The best thing anyone has said to me so far was a comment made by a neighbor who saw me today for the first time in over a year. At first he didn’t recognize me. Then he just stared intently into my face for a few minutes and said “How is your mother?” (I was confused because he doesn’t know my mother). Then he said “I had to ask that because you look like your own daughter!” Wow!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
“With that said, I have been getting incredible compliments:
“You look like a movie star”
“What have you been doing”
“You look amazing”
“You look ten years younger”
I feel incredible”
Hi – hope you are doing well. Are you ready for Thanksgiving? I’m getting there. I wanted to let you know I hit the 30 lb loss today!!! Yeah! So excited! Clothes that didn’t fit are fitting. Clothes I used to wear are too big. Feeling great! A little nervous about tomorrow’s feeding frenzy- but hoping to not overindulge too bad.
Anyway – just had to tell you that my size 12 pants have been falling off of me! I went to Target this weekend to get some cheap crop pants and shorts for the summer – still not wanting to invest much in clothes that are not my “target” size. (I’ve blown past the size 14 shorts I couldn’t fit into for years). And wouldn’t you know – the 12s were too big – I fit best in the size 10!!
I’M A 10!!! I’m amazed!!
I broke the 170 barrier too – I’m now 168. Just 13 pounds to go to my goal weight. I can’t believe it. The meds have been working like a charm. I think the extra thyroid has really boosted me past a plateau. I’m cleaning out my closet like a madwoman; I can’t believe how much clothing I have for donations.
I’m still getting double takes and amazed looks from people who haven’t seen me for awhile. And after remarking how great I look, a girlfriend recently peered suspiciously at me and said – “And have you had something done to your face too? You look younger!” And I do!
Hi Lynese — Great news – seems a fibroid has disappeared! The ultrasound revealed only one fibroid this time, and it is just a little teensy bit smaller than before. So it hasn’t gotten any bigger at all. And the other fibroid didn’t show up on the ultrasound. smile
Thank goodness I did not get that hysterectomy, huh? and thank goodness I came to you to start the bio-identical hormone therapy. I believe that the progesterone is working. And I’m so glad I’m not on the birth control pills anymore. BTW, haven’t had a period since September, and haven’t had any hot flashes either! Life is good.