Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy for treating chronic low back and shoulder pain
Chronic shoulder and lower back pain brings about discomfort and inconvenience in daily life and tends not to respond to conventional and other conservative therapies in many cases. This includes “frozen shoulder” in particular — which is an idiopathic and progressive disease, which is identified by pain and decreased range of motion (ROM) of the shoulder and shoulder joint capsule fibrosis. Low back pain has a number of root causes including injury, repetitive stress, poor posture, degenerative disk disease and numerous other causes.
Low back pain symptoms range from a dull ache to a stabbing or shooting sensation. The pain may make it hard to move or stand up straight. Pain that comes on suddenly is “acute.” It might happen during sports or heavy lifting. Pain that lasts more than 3 months is considered “chronic.
At Proactive Wellness we now offer the revolutionary Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT) for the treatment of chronic lower back pain and shoulder pain including frozen shoulder.
Shock wave therapy (ESWT) uses acoustic waves to transmit high peak pressure waves that promote and accelerate the body’s own natural healing for chronic conditions. ESWT triggers a variety of biological responses including:
- Activate stem cells and human growth factors (new cell growth)
- Stimulates tissue remodeling and neovascularization
- Increase in blood flow, microcirculation
- Remodeling of fibrotic tissue, release trigger points
- Reversal of chronic inflammation
- Increase nitric oxide (NO)
- Activate stem cells and human growth factors (new cell growth)
- Modulates pain fibers causing an analgesic effect
ESWT is an effective option because it triggers multiple biological responses that work together for short and long term healing. ESWT is all-natural, non-invasive and yields long-term patient results.
ESWT directly addresses the increase in Substance “P” in patients that are reporting high levels of pain. Substance P is a neuropeptide, acting as a neurotransmitter and as a neuromodulator. It is broadly understood that Substance P is increased in patients with high levels of pain. ESWT directly provokes a decrease in substance P and other pain-provoking chemicals, stimulation of inflammatory reduction, increase in the blood flow rate and revascularization stimulates and reactivates the process of healing of the tendons, surrounding tissues, and bones. These effects are associated with a significant increase in mobility and an overall decrease in pain in nearly every study reported to date.
How does it work?
In short, ESWT lowers pain, increases quality of life and decreases pain related depression through the following biologic mechanisms:
- It causes microtrauma which leads to an increase in VEGF (Vascular endothelial growth factor), which in turn leads to an increase in angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels).
- It directly increases Nitric Oxide (N.0.) which has the effect of increasing blood flow and the associated benefits of the increased blood flow
- It results in stem cell creation and expansion. This mechanism is slower than the first two but important for long-term benefits.
Don’t believe us? Here are summaries of some of the published research:
- Based on one study, the author concludes “This non-invasive, medical procedure is capable of triggering cellular and molecular alterations that assist the regeneration of injured tissues. ESWT is mainly responsible for: pain relief, by acting directly on nerve fibers; tissue regeneration by stimulating vascularization; and reduction of calcium deposits in tissues. Numerous publications have proven the efficacy and safety of both radial and focused ESWT for the treatment of many musculoskeletal disorders, including osteoarthritis and different types of tendinopathies. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7275282/
- In another study, this one had a control group (CPTG) that received conventional non-invasive therapy. In intra-group comparisons, ESWTG and CPTG showed significant decreases in VAS, ODI, and BDI scores. Intergroup comparisons revealed that these decreases in VAS, ODI, and BDI scores were significantly larger in ESWTG than in CPTG. [Conclusion] Extracorporeal shock wave therapy is an effective intervention for the treatment of pain, disability, and depression in chronic low back pain patients. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4339147/
- Another study used laser therapy in the control group with a total of 200 patients. Results: The VAS (pain) score dropped markedly in both groups compared with that before treatment, and the observation group had an evidently lower VAS score and a significantly higher effective rate than the control group (94.00% vs. 64.00%, P<0.05). After treatment, the quality-of-life score in the observation group was higher than that in the control group (P<0.05), and the observation group had a lower incidence rate of complications than the control group (P<0.05).
Don’t be one of these patients any longer
According to a Georgetown University study, back problems are among patients’ most frequent complaints to their doctors. Nearly 65 million Americans report a recent episode of back pain. Some 16 million adults — 8 percent of all adults — experience persistent or chronic back pain, and as a result are limited in certain everyday activities. Back pain is the sixth most costly condition in the United States. Health care costs and indirect costs due to back pain are over $12 billion per year.(1) Adults with back pain are more likely to use health care services than adults without back pain. Many of the indirect costs of the condition are related to missed days of work and disability payments.
Stop being a statistic, reduce your pain and associated depression and reclaim your life. Shockwave therapy can help you do exactly that, but you have to take the next step.
ESWT is for you if chronic back pain is keeping you from the health you deserve.
Whether you have a severe or mild case of back or shoulder pain, if it is impacting your ability to carryout your daily activities or making them uncomfortable, it is time to consider something different. You have have tried laser therapy, physical therapy or other non-invasive therapies. But if these therapies haven’t resolved your pain, you may be considering surgery. But if you have done your homework, you may know that success with surgery isn’t guaranteed even with the downtime and disruption in your life.
Unlike facilities that are staffed with non-physician personnel, Proactive Wellness Centers offers combination therapies that combine ESWT with other proven therapies to enhance improve outcomes. The combination therapies we offer include:
- ESWT with CJC-1295/Ipamorelin. CJC-1295/Ipamorelin is a growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH) that helps any regenerative process by increasing your growth hormone level. Growth hormone is needed for neovascularization (creating new blood vessels), so clearly this combination therapy can help any patient undergoing ESWT therapy.
- ESWT with other peptides that help with the healing of soft tissues. BPC-157 and Thymosin Beta 4 have healing properties that support soft tissue healing.
- ESWT with our metabolic rejuvenation program to help you achieve weight loss and ideal body composition. For many patients, carrying excess weight exacerbates the back pain as it increases stress on the body. Imaging carrying a 50-80 lb weight all day every day if you are overweight in that range. Even a healthy person might begin to feel the impact of this weight. Our weight loss program is a medical-based program designed based on your unique metabolic factors that helps you to safely lose weight and keep if off. We have helped thousands of patients achieve weight loss of 20 lbs, 50 lbs, 100 lbs and more.
ESWT treatments are given in 20-30 minute sessions in our office. For most conditions, patients need 1-2 treatments per week for 6-8 weeks to see a meaningful reduction in pain and increase in quality of life. This is because it it is a regenerative process and it takes time for the body to execute the regenerative actions.
Ready to get started?
Use one of the options below.
- Text “Pain” and your first name to 833.341.0170 and our Clinical Intake Coordinator will get back to you personally and confidentially. You only need to provide your first name. Note, this number is only for texts — no voice calls.
- If between the hours of 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday through Friday, feel free to call us now on (703) 822-5003 Ext 4 and our Clinical Intake Coordinator will answer any question you have and get you started.
- Fill the contact form below and we will get back to you within 2-3 hours except weekends.
Hi Lynese — Great news – seems a fibroid has disappeared! The ultrasound revealed only one fibroid this time, and it is just a little teensy bit smaller than before. So it hasn’t gotten any bigger at all. And the other fibroid didn’t show up on the ultrasound. smile
Thank goodness I did not get that hysterectomy, huh? and thank goodness I came to you to start the bio-identical hormone therapy. I believe that the progesterone is working. And I’m so glad I’m not on the birth control pills anymore. BTW, haven’t had a period since September, and haven’t had any hot flashes either! Life is good.
Hi – hope you are doing well. Are you ready for Thanksgiving? I’m getting there. I wanted to let you know I hit the 30 lb loss today!!! Yeah! So excited! Clothes that didn’t fit are fitting. Clothes I used to wear are too big. Feeling great! A little nervous about tomorrow’s feeding frenzy- but hoping to not overindulge too bad.
My update. I feel pretty good!!! My bleeding is under control and I am now regular for the most part. Sometimes I will have a strange menstral bleed (long and slow), but I will take it compared to my old “normal”. I still love the progesterone and testosterone I am on. They leave me with no side effects.
I was very happy at my recent (Feb 6th) annual doc appt (physical). After the standard blood draw work up, my numbers were:
Vitamin D= 66.9 (down a bit from your work up which was 77, but still good)
Cholesterol=123 (down from 150 in Sept 2011)
Triglycerides=91 (down from 129 in Sept 2011)
So… I am the new spokesperson for HCG! I love that stuff!! smile The second round for me was amazing. I was very disciplined and determined and after about the 3rd day, it become very easy for me. I was able to drop 14lbs in an 18 day cycle!!!! AND….I am keeping that off with very little effort! OMG I couldn’t be happier! I am in the body that I am comfortable in once again! That feels so good. I am continuing to eat clean and exercise, it is a great life change!
June4, 2009. “Good morning! I have to tell you that I weigh 157… down from 191!!! OMG…thank you so much! I feel incredible!”
You are so great! I truly appreciate all you are doing for me. Phyllis and I are so fortunate to have found you.
“So far I have lost 30#’s in 6 weeks and have the energy of a 40 year old. Am so thankful to be able to handle unpacking and shelving 6000 books. I am up and down stepladders and extension ladders with books in tow. The awful arthritis pain is there but the energy isn’t depleted from the pain like before and I keep going like this for hours.”
Hi Lynese – In an old file I found a print out from an online longevity calculator I had used in 2007 (www.eons.com). I thought I was doing well because it said I would likely live to 86! But I just re-took the survey. Basically by cutting out the coffee, carbs and sugar, increasing my exercise and losing weight, I’ve apparently added 13 years to my life!! The calculator now says I could live to be 99!! With a little more exercise and a little less work, I could live to 106!! Thanks for all the added years Lynese!!!
All the best.
P.S. – I saw Diane over the weekend – she’s looking great, and is so happy with her weight loss.
Dare I say it out loud? It sure is looking as though Semorelin has given me my life back. I was so worried about skiing – afraid I’d ski one day and be in bed the rest of the week. But I was just fine. This past Saturday I prepared, served, and cleaned up (with help) dinner for 14. Sunday I was just fine.
Words cannot describe how happy I am with your anti-aging program. I have not felt this good in YEARS. Since getting pregnant in 1995 I have been overweight. Between 1992-1995 I was being treated for infertility and had to take all sorts of hormones that made me bloated and tired.
Now, at the age of 46 I have more energy and I look better than I have in YEARS. I actually THRIVE on exercise and do it religiously because I know it is the key to keeping the weight off and enjoying the foods that I love.
As a successful businesswoman, you often feel that you can’t have everything and I put my weight and health on hold to grow my business. You have given me the gift of being able to run a business AND look good. I am getting so much attention for my weight loss and it has helped my confidence and self esteem greatly.Since I do a lot of speaking engagements, I know that image is more important than what you say or how you say it. By looking better and appearing fit and healthy, I am a more powerful public speaker!
I can’t say enough about this gift you have given me and I hope you know how much I appreciate you.
On top of all of this, you are truly a beautiful person inside and out who provides a level of caring I have never seen from a doctor, weight loss clinic or other health professional.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Lynese – Just had to share this with you. I have appeared in an online newsletter (Legal Bisnow) twice – the first time a year ago and the second time today. Look at the difference in my photos!
It’s an absolute miracle! In the older photo even my eyelids look fat! I can’t get over how much I now look like my old self – of 20 years ago! I certainly don’t look like I’m closing in on 59, do I??
The best thing anyone has said to me so far was a comment made by a neighbor who saw me today for the first time in over a year. At first he didn’t recognize me. Then he just stared intently into my face for a few minutes and said “How is your mother?” (I was confused because he doesn’t know my mother). Then he said “I had to ask that because you look like your own daughter!” Wow!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
“With that said, I have been getting incredible compliments:
“You look like a movie star”
“What have you been doing”
“You look amazing”
“You look ten years younger”
I feel incredible”
Anyway – just had to tell you that my size 12 pants have been falling off of me! I went to Target this weekend to get some cheap crop pants and shorts for the summer – still not wanting to invest much in clothes that are not my “target” size. (I’ve blown past the size 14 shorts I couldn’t fit into for years). And wouldn’t you know – the 12s were too big – I fit best in the size 10!!
I’M A 10!!! I’m amazed!!
I broke the 170 barrier too – I’m now 168. Just 13 pounds to go to my goal weight. I can’t believe it. The meds have been working like a charm. I think the extra thyroid has really boosted me past a plateau. I’m cleaning out my closet like a madwoman; I can’t believe how much clothing I have for donations.
I’m still getting double takes and amazed looks from people who haven’t seen me for awhile. And after remarking how great I look, a girlfriend recently peered suspiciously at me and said – “And have you had something done to your face too? You look younger!” And I do!