As we age, it’s natural for our bodies to change. But we don’t have to accept that the quality of our health and lives will be diminished. Often, people expect that as we age we’ll have more difficulty learning new things, remembering things, or thinking as quickly and clearly as we used to. Yes, some of that is normal. But do you know the difference between normal, healthy changes and the signs and symptoms of dementia, Alzheimer’s, or other cognitive impairments?
It’s important to be able to tell the difference. There is so much that can be done to treat cognitive impairments and the underlying health issues that lead to foggy thinking, lack of focus, memory issues, and the emotional health issues that come from having health issues that impact the brain.
Here are some common signs of the normal aging process in the brain:
- Not being able to remember names of acquaintances, or where you parked your car in a lot
- Occasionally not being able to find the word you want to say, as if it’s ‘on the tip of your tongue’
- Sometimes not remembering what you went into a room to get or find
- Forgetting events every once in a while
- You’re nervous about your memory, but close friends and family aren’t
But here are symptoms of a more serious, underlying problem:
- A sense of brain fogginess on a regular basis, and an inability to remember things that just happened
- Not remembering family members’ or close friends’ names
- Finding yourself somewhere – like a mall, or grocery store – and not being sure how you got there
- Inability to plan, or solve problems
- Trouble having conversations
- Not being aware of a problem, even though your family has mentioned it
It’s important to know the signs, because you can treat underlying health issues to improve brain functioning. How? By managing inflammation with a healthy diet, better sleep, managing stress, and making good lifestyle choices.
You can also take advantage of the anti-inflammatory benefits of using CBD oil from the help plant to improve brain health, and should consider how the Bredesen protocol may be beneficial. (We’re certified in the Bredesen protocol, and have made healthy brain functioning one of our areas of speciality.)
The earlier you catch a problem, the better your outcome will be. If you’re not sure whether you may have an underlying cognitive issue, or how to manage inflammation in the body, we invite you to reach out to us. Visit online, or book an appointment. We can help!